I was once on a flight and spotted some friends a few rows behind. Whilst my rugrats (at the time 5 mths and nearly 3) were crying/jumping around/demanding constant attention, her two (4 and 7) were blissfully chilling out, watching an ipad and reading.
Moral of the story. Young babies are easy (they sleep). Kids between 0-4 are a tough crowd but as they get older, it gets easier.
Here’s my roundup of what might amuse young kids on a plane. Sometimes it’s good to give them something new, you could even partially wrap it (security might want to unwrap). For all ages, the best toy is SNACKS!
INFANT 0 – 5 MTHS
They feed, snooze and stare into space. They don’t need much.
BABY 6 MTHS – 1 YEAR
- Sensory toys e.g. Lamaze Firefly or Skwish
- Clip On Toys (rattles, mini books etc that you would clip onto a buggy)
- Soft interactive books
- Any teething toy – Sophie the Giraffe was a favourite in our household
BABY 1 – 2 YEARS
- Books with flaps
- Stacking cups
- Noisy toy with lights e.g. Vtech Little Singing Bear
- Small toys with suction cups at bottom to stick to tray table e.g.
- Box of coloured straws
TODDLER 2 – 3 YEARS
- Sticker books
- iPAD / DVD Player
- Roll of sellotape
- Window stickers
- Making sick bag hand puppets
- Post it notes
TODDLER 3-4 YEARS
- Sticker books
- Magnet games
- Colouring in books
- Paper & Crayons (triangular ones are good as they don’t roll off the table as easily)
- Mini chalk board
- iPAD / DVD Player (we gave her 3 yo our old broken iphone that you can still use for apps)
What are your kids favourite toys to take on the plane?